Tuesday, July 29, 2008

That Was Way Easy Tortellini...and some snickering


I am surprised by this so I decided to post it. Super easy and not original I am very sure. But when it is just the kids and me, it is easy to get stuck in that rut of easy kid food and me munching on whatever for the remainder of the night (not good for swimsuit season I might add). Tonight I asked the kids if they wanted Italian or Asian. My son screamed Italian as my just turned 4 daughter asked what Italian was. My son told her pasta. They were both happy. I told them it would be Tortellini, my son quickly said Turtle WHAT? That is just funny because secretly I called it turtle weenie. Ha.
I had picked up some spinach and cheese tortellini one day when I was a hungry shopper. I decided to put that to work (plus it was a long day and any excuse to have wine with Italian was what I was looking for).
So, after cooking the turtle weenie (how old am I?) per the instructions, I drained it and drizzled with olive oil and Parmesan cheese. I then (again with the olive oil) sauteed minced garlic (from the jar of course) and halved cherry tomatoes for a few minutes. Topped the tortellini with that, more Parmesan cheese with s&p, added a side salad and it was a meal. It also made for a pretty picture.

Now get this, the kids LOVED it. I gave each a good helping. They both wanted more. So I gave them 2nds. Then 3rds. This was a hit I tell ya. And here I thought I could have leftovers, HA! Not!

So, there you have it. The daddy is gone and momma gets fancy in the kitchen meal. Or at least it looked like it. Now the kids are happy watching Pippi Longstocking (again) and I am on my 2nd glass of wine. Cheers.

1 comment:

Honeyed Hashette said...

I love the turtle weenie! HA!
Those cherry tomatoes are my fav. I get the "cherub" brand here in Denton and pop them like candy. SO GOOD!
I also use them in Shrimp Pesto Pasta which is super easy and my nephews LOVE it!