Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Greek-Style Penne w/Chickpeas


I found this recipe in Eating Light Magazine. I thought it would be good for a healthy busy night meal. I cut the recipe in half because it would have been way too much food for our family of 4, plus I switched it up a little. It was a great, light meal with plenty of flavor. Chicken would be a nice addition to it, but I kept it a veggie meal.


Here is my version:


8oz penne pasta

1/2 can chickpeas drained

1/2 jar roasted peppers, drained and sliced

1/2 jar quartered marinated artichoke hearts, undrained

1 green onion chopped

a handful of sliced and pitted kalamata olives

sprinkling of feta cheese (I used low fat)

half a lemon

freshly ground pepper


1. Boil Penne as package directs, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water before draining

2. Meanwhile, toss chickpeas, roasted peppers, artichoke hearts, green onions, and olives until hot

3. Toss with drained pasta, squeeze juice from lemon over the top, add feta cheese, pepper and cooking water as needed.


(if it needs more kick, Italian seasoning adds a touch)



No comments: