Monday, June 9, 2008

Cherries Cherries Cherries

My menu was inspired by Joe at one of my fave food blogs. I did some minor changes due to me trying to loose weight and what we had on hand.
Here is my version:


Chicken Salad with Cherries and Goat-Cheese Dressing

2 ounces crumbled fresh goat cheese (low fat)
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped chives
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons Olive oil
garlic/rosemary seasoning
2 large chicken breasts
1/2 Bag Spring Mix Salad
1 1/2 cup sweet cherries, pitted and halved (I used a straw to pit)
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
In a small bowl, whisk together goat cheese, sour cream, chives, water and vinegar - season to taste with salt and pepper.
Drizzle chicken breasts with olive oil and season with rosemary seasoning and s&p. Grill until no longer pink.
Remove and place on a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice chicken.
To a plate add lettuce, chicken, cherries, dressing and walnuts. Enjoy!
The dressing was soooo good, Chad and I will definitely do this again! And the kids LOVED it.


Thanks Joe for the great recipe!




Now, for dessert. I bought some pastry shells and wanted to use more cherries. I made this recipe up...so I will call this:




Cherry Sussy hehe


4 pastry shells
1 C pitted cherries
1/2 C sugar
3T water
1T corn starch
1T lime juice
Fat Free Cool Whip (I had some on hand, added vanilla to mine and froze it... you can use ice cream for sure!).
Left over walnuts from dinner
Bake shells according to directions
In a sauce pan add cherries through lime juice, let it get bubbly and thick...stir stir stir. When cherries are nice and fat and sauce is thick, it is ready. You may have to add more sugar to thicken.
Then arrange: pastry, cool whip, cherry sauce, walnuts.....eat. Yum.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I have a ton of Cherries in my fridge, thanks for the ideas!